The Philippine Science High School was established under Republic Act 3661 otherwise known as the PSHS Charter. On February 5, 1986, Executive Order No. 1090 wa approved establishing the Mindanao and Visayan Campuses of the Philippine Science High School
The mandate is to offer free scholarship to students with aptitude in the Sciences and Mathematics with the purpose of preparing them for a science career. Although the school emphasizes the best instruction in Sciences and Mathematics, it also provides a well-rounded curriculum that gives thorough attention to all aspects of the scholars academic, physical, and social development.
The Philippine Science High School Mindanao Campus (PSHS-MC) was formally opened on July 8, 1988. It was temporarily housed in the rented facilities of the Philippine Coconut Authority in Bago Oshiro, Davao City during its initial two and a half years of operation. On December 28, 1990 PSHS-Mindanao Campus settled on its permanent site at Sto. Nino, Tugbok District, Davao City. PSHS-MC later became PSHS Southern Mindanao Campus.
With the approval of Republic Act No. 8496 based on House Bill No. 9800 and later amended by R.A. No. 9036, the PSHS has evolved into a system in 1998 mandating the establishment of a PSHS campus for every region. The PSHS System is headed by the Executive Director.
At present there are sixteen (16) existing PSHS Campuses, namely:
1. PSHS Main Campus in Diliman, Quezon City (1964);
2. Southern Mindanao Campus in Davao City (1988);
3. Western Visayas Campus in Jaro, Iloilo City (1993);
4. Eastern Visayas Campus in Palo, Leyte (1996);
5. Cagayan Valley Campus in Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya (1998);
6. Bicol Region Campus in Goa, Camarines Sur (1998);
7. Central Mindanao Campus in Balo-i, Lanao del Norte (1998);
8. llocos Region Campus in San IIdefonso, lIocos Sur (2003);
9. Central Visayas Campus in Argao, Cebu (2006);
10. Central Luzon Campus in Clark, Pampanga (2009);
11. Cordillera Administrative Region Campus in Baguio City (2009);
12. SOCCSKSARGEN Region Campus in Brgy. Paraiso, Koronadal City (2013);
13. Caraga Region Campus in Ampayon, Butuan City (2014);
14. CALABARZON Region Campus in Brgy. Sampaga, Batangas City;
15. MIMAROPA Region Campus in Brgy. Rizal, Odiongan, Romblon;
16. Zamboanga Peninsula Region in Brgy. Olingan, Dipolog City